Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Gigantic Nerds

...Well it's the third week of work and I have just made a pretty intense discovery.

That's right, today I've come to the realization that I am working with the geeks of the world.  Although - to be honest - it's been coming on for some time, and I should probably have figured it out sooner.  They're neuroscientists, physicists, and 'analysts'.  But what really brought it all home for me is, while I was going through the computer networks on Linux, all the directories were named (as it turns out) after Transformers.  The robot/aliens who turn into cars.  And stuff.  I don't really follow, but this is what I am gathering from Wikipedia...if anyone has more information, please let me know.  Anway, my own personal Linux platform is called Soundwave, after a talking robot who apparently turns into a cassette tape.  And is evil.  ...I know.

That's not all, because it would seem that my Windows platform is named Barbossa.  I'm not really sure why, but I guess someone else in the lab is into...swashbuckling?  Whereas all the Linux machines are Tranformers, all the PCs get to be pirates.

In my former lab, the Macs were all named after trees.  I was often on Birch, I believe.  And I feel like at this point I ought to make some sweeping statement about what this all means...but honestly, I just can't even begin.

No comments: