Saturday, October 2, 2010

Beantown

More unloading and unveiling and untangling today...successful though.  That's what happens when my parents are involved.  Some days I wonder how I am going to manage on my own.  But I guess I'll find out shortly. 

Why Beantown, though?  What beans?  And what?

Well according to Boston-Online, Boston is called Beantown because people in Boston used to like to eat a lot of baked beans (but they don't anymore).

This seems lame to me. 

But I can't seem to find any other explanation.  There used to be a lot of beans here, I suppose, because it's more northern, and beans are filling and flavorful, and people had a lot of molasses to cook them in.  So they did.  They got the molasses from slavery.  (???)  Iiiiiii don't know...apparently there was a flood of molasses in 1919 in the North End..possibly around the corner from where I live!.., which sounds like something really worth writing about - or even, if it comes to that, nicknaming a city after.  But alas, it was (and is) not to be.  Not this time around, anyway.

2 comments:

Papa Ruz said...

I was there! It was a minor miracle. but you would have figured it out eventually. Probably you would have recruited a few nice Italian North End boys to help.
BTW, have you notice that on Google Earth this part of Boston is known as the "Island of North Boston"? Perhaps an island in a sea of molasses?!!

Connie R said...

The wave of molasses reportedly rushed through the streets of the North End at speeds of up to 35 mph. Twenty-one people died in the disaster. And they say on hot days, the neighborhood still carries the scent of molasses.