Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bicycle Redux

In an effort to be more exciting, I took my bicycle out of the basement...yes, that's right, strictly for the purpose of having a blog-worthy experience.  New levels of eh, eh?

Anyway, I am including a PHOTO of said bicycle to further spruce things up:

My fan base (Mom.  ...Alyssa?) might be having a sense of deja vu, because I did something quite similar almost exactly two years ago.  Man, my bike might have gotten classier (despite a lack of basket), but my skill and dedication as an amateur author has most definitely suffered.  Also...I read through that entry and its sequel, written a day later - because I wasn't feeling melancholy enough, right? - and wowww how long ago was that?  And how strange - the person whose lecture I walked into late due to the brakes that wouldn't die turned out to be the very same person who rejected me from graduate school!  Karma's a bia...also, I feel much more harmonious with the universe.  It's like everything makes sense.  Or wait.

ANYWHO back to the present.  Aren't bicycles the best?  They're so beautiful!  And simultaneously so utilitarian!  There's almost nothing in them that doesn't have a function...

This little Peugeot, though, is a particularly sexy little machine.  Yeah look at those fenders....and I tricked her out with flashy lights and a bell.  Did I mention the step-through?  Because as a ladies' bike, there's gotta be a step-through.  The vintage gear shifts, the white vinyl seat and matching rubber handle grips, the 1980s dayglow decal?  Perfection.  I got her from my mom, so you know it's the real deal...the restoration costs were a bit steep, but worth! it!

Boston drivers being what they are, I'm a little concerned about taking the Peugeot out and about before I know my way around the city (not to mention I like the way my face is arranged currently).  Still, tooling around the North End's back alleys and one-way streets isn't too strenuous, so I struggled out of the tiny basement door, helmet in hand (yeah, next time I'll put it on beforehand so I don't brain myself on the lintel and nearly crash back down the cement stairs under 25 pounds of pointy metal tubing), and found my way to the post office and the hardware store.  That place, incidentally, has everything. 

Maybe I'll stop back tomorrow to find a nice wire basket?

3 comments:

Papa Ruz said...

THAT IS AN AWESOME BIKE!!!!!!!!! By the way, I am somewhat offended by the contention that the 1980s qualify as "vintage".....
So, are the dryer ducts still hanging low, or are they no longer a hazard as well....?

Emily said...

well vintage or no, the 80s are way cooler than now. so there.

and as to the dryer ducts, they are still shredded, and the lights are still out, and the doors are still unlocked, and the sink hose is still nonfunctional...but it's all "romantic" first-apartment life, right?

Alyssa said...

Sorry I've been MIA! I've been working up a storm and generally visiting Blogspot a lot less.

I miss you!