Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Fear and Loathing in Boston

I'm now relaxing in my $45 wingback (pristine!), listening to this song and partaking of some tea and brownies...but most of the day has been filled with some sort of angst or another.  Eh, I suppose these days happen to everyone.  And in reality it wasn't so bad...

I suppose most people fear the first day of a new job (?) but I had already met my supervisor and we seemed to rub along nicely...and anyway, I really do intend to like doing research.  I was a bit anxious, though, walking across the Worrisome Bridge on my way to work.  It was raining when I woke up, and the wind had picked up, and so I - fear of depths and all - had to pick my way across the river via slick metal mesh while still only half-awake.  The whole way, eyes on turbulent water and braced against gusty weather I was envisioning disaster (and before I had gotten a chance to file my life insurance policy, too!).

The rest of the morning, however, was pretty uneventful (if soggy)...almost too quiet: I hardly even met anyone.  About the only amusing tidbit I can provide is the location of my desk.  A hallway.  It's pretty awkward, although apparently it hasn't helped me to make new friends yet.

The afternoon was filled with RAGE at Comcast...but to be honest, I really don't want to get into it again.  Grr.  I sincerely hope the issue will be resolved by the weekend, but I have my doubts.

Oh, PS!  I've finally met both of my neighbors!  One of them seems pretty cool...the other one...less.  That's all I'll say for now; first impressions aren't always the most accurate.  (But these are.)

No comments: