Friday, February 12, 2010

Illustrators

I was talking to Cecily (my suitemate) who is applying for an intership at a museum for picture-books. Which got me thinking about some of my favorite illustrators from when I was a child...

There's P J Lynch, whom I still love...
[sketch from The Gift of the Magi]

and Lizbeth Zwerger:
[from Thumbeline]

Or how about Coles Phillips?
[from Life, 1921]

Kinuko Y Craft probably made The Twelve Dancing Princesses my favorite book for several years when I was little...

And, of course Arthur Rackham is amazing:
[from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland]

And I suppose I can't close without mentioning Alan Lee:
[detail from The Fellowship of the Ring]

Undervalued art form no longer!

3 comments:

Connie R said...

Ahhhhhh. And don't forget the slightly frightening but always wonderful John Tenniel, or the whimsical William Steig.

I don't remember Lynch, but his work is breath-taking.

Alyssa said...

Wooo! :D

I also love Jan Brett, Nancy Ekholm Burkert (who did the most gorgeous Snow White), Maurice Sendak, JC Leyendecker and Norman Rockwell!

Emily said...

They're all fantastic! I'm always on the lookout for prints (possibly cut out of picturebooks) to hang on my future walls.