Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ancient GPS

Sometimes I think that maps are pretty much the coolest thing ever. Even nowadays, when everything is 'accurate', satellite-photographed, machine-recorded and printed off by the bundle, it's fun to go onto Google Earth or Google Maps and find an aerial (or street-view!) shot of your house.

Anyway, back in the day (whenever that was), maps were highly politicized and highly priced works of art. There's a tiny map store in London run by this fascinating man who could tell you all about it...I don't know nearly so much, but I do know that I'm as intrigued by the scripted and illustrated names of roads and towns and taverns as I am by the changing coastlines, monsters, and mythical islands.

Here's a copy of a map from 1675 showing the road from London to Lands End. As you can see, it's set up like our modern-day navigation devices, with the road always in front of you, and the landmarks off to the side.

Right. Lots more of that here.

So yes I could go on about maps for ages, about how they reflect not so much what is, but rather what might be, or what ought to be. But I don't want to bore you. If I haven't convinced you yet, or if maps just aren't your thing...check out Vesalius' De Humani Corporis Fabrica - same idea, but the body instead of the globe. Beautiful and a little bit repulsive, I think.

3 comments:

Connie R said...

Here be dragons. Olde Worlde maps are just the best.

Emily said...

hey! we love the ogilby map.....I am looking at one right now next to the computer!

Emily said...

...ummm WHO POSTED HERE USING MY BLOG ID THING.