Friday, January 1, 2010

New Beginnings (once again)


Oh my giddy goodness, it's 2010. We've exited the noughties. I can tell that I am going to have trouble with this, as I just now typed 20010, and I still sometimes, when I'm less aware, think I'm in Y2K. This is what happens when you enter your fourth decade? (Although, my grandfather tells me no, we won't truly be into the teens until next year.)

Still, exciting stuff. And it brings me to my purpose for this post, namely, explaining my reasons for re-opening RecAnth. How boring. And these are: (1) it's the new year, and new years call for new resolutions, of which I have several; I've made up a little digitalized post-it note to remind myself of what these are, and let me pull it up to enlighten you all...ah yes, here we go. True to the spirit of things, they range from the nebulous to the doomed. Over the course of the year, I plan on drinking more water (one can only improve on this), running at least twice a week (hence the water), working through the Bible nightly (fit and holy, excellent), and - more to the point - posting something (anything) on my blog once a day. Furthermore, (2) these resolutions will hopefully distract me from the chaos and turmoil which doubtless will accompany my exiting the dubious utopia of undergraduate life and entering...whatever it is that I will be entering.

Because I've got no idea whether, by this time next year, I'll be a researcher back at Oxford, an EMT here in Sewickley, or a student at seminary - who knows, with all that Bible-reading - I can't quite tell you (who are you? Is anyone even bothering with this silly site anymore?) what the nature of these posts will be, but I'll try to refrain from too much navel-gazing, instead sticking to the original spirit of the blog and gazing outward. Regardless, whether it's a photo of me in a Russian hat or an essay on French slang, I hope you enjoy the quasi-cultural exhibition, and excuse my occasional cry for help if, as I suspect may happen, I accidentally reneg on this resolution for 2010 and start moaning about schoolwork rather than using this as an opportunity to escape for a bit while expanding my knowledge of the real and interesting world around me. (Also, don't blame me too much for back-dating...although I will try to avoid it.)

I've never been a terribly enthusiastic fan of the changing calendar, but I've got high hopes, and expectations to match; additionally, I hope everyone out there is well and having a Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Connie R said...

I'm peerng at the painting of the doggie in the background of the photo....was he sacrificed for the hat on the left?