Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cheese!

Oh the wonderful wonders of cheese...Mark Kurlansky writes histories of Salt and Cod, but I think a perfect book would be one all about my fantastic friend: fromage.

Here's an intriguing factoid con queso: hard, aged cheeses like Gruyere, Pecorino, Manchego, and most Cheddars may contain 'cheese crystals'...yes. That's right. Crystals made of cheese. I don't know if the above term is the technical one, but it's the one I am going to embrace, wholeheartedly.

Anyhow, as far as I can tell, these cheese crystals occur during the aging/ripening processes and are promoted by the bacteria that turn milk into cheese. They can be made up of either calcium lactate or calcium phosphate, or else the amino acid tyrosine. Whoever said diamonds are a girl's best friend wasn't trying hard enough. No okay I'm being facetious, but I could really go for a good cheesy risotto, raclette, or simple sampler plate just about now.

So this is being listed on 'le blog' as a recipe, but there's no recipe involved. Yet...

Here's five excellent cheesy concoctions!

1) Fresh goat cheese, roasted beets, baby greens, toasty walnuts, olive oil (extra virgin why do I bother stating the obvious), red wine vinegar.
2) Gruyere, potatoes, gruyere, garlic, gruyere, cream, butter, gruyere.
3) Cheddar, mustard, ale, over tomatoes, bacon, and toast.
4) Feta and olives. Maybe some almonds. A bit of olive oil and lemon juice. Forever.
5) Mozzarella, sun dried tomato, basil, toasted baguette, olive oil and balsamic vinegar reduction.

You'll notice I haven't got any fondue recipe on here. There is a reason for this: I haven't yet mastered the art D: Hints, suggestions, and step-by-step instructions will be welcomed!

1 comment:

Connie R said...

My mouth was watering, until I remembered this little quote from James Joyce: "A corpse is meat gone bad. Well and what's cheese? Corpse of milk." Ew?