Friday, November 12, 2010

Science Films (Really!)

It started out with sitting down to go through The Life Aquatic a few evenings ago, and then somehow I ended up watching all of David Attenborough's The Life of...series(es...Birds, Mammals, etc.).  Plus, to make matters worse, I got forwarded an interesting video link at work of an MIT seminar I had missed...how the brain thinks about the mind, takes me right back to 11th grade with Mr Robertson...and somehow that led to *science films* (cue spooky music).

But honestly, these things really seem worth watching...and also seem to be "science films" (as we know them from biology class at least...so don't let that scare you off, my non-science-nerds) in only the most liberal of definitions.  But grrrrr apparently they aren't public domain and I would have to go to NYC...a month ago...to have seen any of them.  WHY...well anyway, here is the site, and if you care to spend some time investigating it and end up finding an actual video, please inform moi.  I am particularly looking for this year's winners (the people have spoken and I believe in the people): so that's "Marius Borodine," "Skhizein," and "An Eyeful of Sound" (synesthesia yayyy!)...but "Cold and Dry" might be worthwhile as well. Anyway.

4 comments:

Samantha Moore said...

Hi Emily

I made An Eyeful of Sound (thank you google alert!) and you can see it here http://vimeo.com/11649675 with the password "seeingsound".

It's not in the public domain since most film festivals won't screen films that are freely available on the internet.

I also have a blog of the making of the film here: http://eyefulofsound.blogspot.com/

Hope you enjoy it!

best wishes
Sam

Emily said...

Wow okay! Thank you so much - I'm just a recently-graduated research technician, but synesthesia has long been my pet topic; I really look forward to seeing it artistically represented in something a bit less sci-fi than /Heroes/

Thanks again! And congratulations - it's really lovely.

Samantha Moore said...

Thank you, glad you like it and hope that films can realistically represent science topics without diminishing them :)

Sam x

Emily said...

:D precisely!