Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Statuesque

Below are some of my favorite three-dimensional portraits.  I'm hardly an expert at art, much less sculpture, but these ones for some reason strike me.  I believe there's quite a variety - from the whimsically precocious to the raunchily morbid - but I don't think I'll add any further comments at the moment.  I'm not even sure that I could explain these guys in any lucid way.  Just scroll down and enjoy.  And if you ever have the chance, definitely go see them in person...it adds a whole other dimension.

Bust of a Child, Possibly Henry (Guido Mazzoni)

Bust of Veiled Woman (Antonio Corradini)

La Petite Danseuse de Quatorze Ans (Edgar Degas)

Victor Noir (Jules Dalou)

Winged Victory of Samothrace (Unknown)

Beau Brummell (Irena Sedlecka)

2 comments:

Connie R said...

I love the bust of the young boy, but knew of it already, and I was fascinated by the tomb of Victor Noir, so I did a bit of research (thank you, wikipedia). Was very surprised to learn that the effigy has become a fertility site:

"Myth says that placing a flower in the upturned top hat after kissing the statue on the lips and rubbing its genital area will enhance fertility, bring a blissful sex life, or, in some versions, a husband within the year. As a result of the legend, those particular components of the oxidized bronze statue are rather well-worn."

Well.

Emily said...

...yep, good old dueling, womanizing victor noir. i was considering adding all that, but then i'd have to tell the fascinating stories of all of these pieces, and that would be one monstrous post. so i left it to your own inquisitiveness, which clearly has not failed me yet. :)