Saturday, March 20, 2010

Technical Difficulties/Rivers Part 1

The internet cut out last night, preventing me from posting anything of significance (or anything at all).

Okay, also it was a lovely day outside and I decided to go down to the river for the afternoon...and then to watch a film in the evening, so that didn't help either.

And I was going to write a nice long post about confluences.  Instead, I'll save that for tomorrow (today), and backpost this (again) and give you a little tidbit about rivers and lakes and other bodies of water, to whet your appetite (as it were).

So.  Over the course of time, various places around the globe have been redundantly named due to their obvious local geography and a shift in the current dialect.  These, incidentally, are known as tautological names.  Such as:
  • The Schuylkill River in PA, meaning 'Hidden River River' (the first 'river' being the Dutch suffix 'kill')
  • The Mississippi River, stretching from Canada to the Gulf and meaning 'Big River River' in Algonquin
  • Laguna Lake in California, which any American schoolchild worth his salt could tell you means 'Lake Lake' in Spanish
  • The River Avon in the UK, translated from Brythonic (modern Welsh: afon) to mean 'River River'
  • Hayle Estuary in Cornwall is, as you can probably guess by now, 'Estuary Estuary'
  • Loch Loch in Scotland...no excuse for this one, I don't think.  But bear with me, they get more exciting...
  • Rio Guadix in Spain means 'River River River': rio being Spanish, guad coming from Arabic wadi, while ix is Phoenician.
  • Eas Fors Waterfall in Scotland is three times a waterfall, although I'm not exactly sure in what languages
But the one that takes the cake is Torpenhow Hill, England (sadly not a body of water), being 'Celtic Hill/Brythonic Hill/Anglo-Saxon Hill/English Hill'.  Although I gather this may be disputed by some scholars.

1 comment:

Bri said...

scholars love disputes.
That was great. I got into the flow there for a minute, and thought I knew where you were going, but then you threw me for a loop with the Rio Guadix triple redundancy!