Thursday, August 5, 2010

Roland the Farter

I am not making this up.

I apologize for the juvenile humor...but it appears that in days gone by, juvenile humor was the only kind of humor.  (And if you're wondering how I came across this little gem, it was in a book my dad was reading about the Battle of Agincourt).

And in the interest of accuracy, I'll just pull directly from Wikipedia:
Roland the Farter (also known in contemporary records as Roland le Fartere) was a medieval flatulist who held Hemingstone manor in Suffolk and 30 acres of land in return for his services as a jester for the king. Each year he was obliged to perform "Unum saltum et siffletum et unum bumbulum" (one jump, one whistle, and one fart) in King Henry II's court at Christmas.

...Apparently this was the king's favorite party trick.  I repeat, I am not making this up.

Hmm, and perhaps later, if you're extra good, I will tell you about the king whose favorite party trick was to pretend to eat his court midget, Jeffrey, between two loaves of bread.  Those crazy dudes.

No comments: