Monday, May 17, 2010

How Long?

Strictly speaking, this belongs in my Oxford series...but I've only just now discovered it, and think it's suitably witty - and true - that it deserves a mention somewhere.

So apparently the difference between me and my Brit friends is that Britons think 100 miles is a long way, while Americans think 100 years is a long time.

Ha ha ha...well anyway, mildly entertaining.  That's all I ever promised you from the beginning. 

Right, so this comes from my burrowing through the blogsphere; I encountered a bit about the differences between Americans and the English that seemed worth reading at the time.  For all the similarities - I've said it before - the UK is not merely Ye-Olde-USA...little funny disparities are likely to crop up when you least expect it.  This one is not the most striking, I don't think, or the most useful, or even the most correct, but there you have it.  Perhaps it will put some things into perspective next time you have some friends from Scotland over for vacation and decide to take them on an hour-long drive out to look at some historical site (as you see it) from the Roaring Twenties.  Forewarned is forearmed.

1 comment:

John Rocco Jennette said...

Agree. Got this one a lot when explaining that I went to school two states and THREE HOURS (!) away from my home.